Upon request, the Teaching and Learning Center provides confidential consultations to all teaching faculty. Whether an instructor wishes to learn innovative teaching techniques, redesign a course or increase their students’ learning, the Teaching and Learning Center can work with you to help fulfill your teaching goals.
Regarding the Teaching and Learning Center consultation service, there are two key takeaways:
- Consultation is for the purpose of analysis and development and is strictly voluntary. All records are confidential and copies are shared only with the instructor. The instructor, however, is free to share information on the consultation to whomever he or she wishes.
- The Teaching and Learning Center does not initiate consultation upon request of a dean or department chair. Rather, an administrator may recommend the services of the center to that instructor.
The Teaching and Learning Center strives to maintain a highly professional relationship with all instructors; maintaining an ethical and respectful consultation procedure is central to our mission to support instructors at UT Knoxville.
- Individualized consultation
- Classroom observations
- Syllabus review and analysis
- Course design analysis
- Interpretation of student evaluations
- Small group instructional feedback
- Analysis of Formative feedback
- Large class feedback
Example Consultation Topics
- Developing new teaching strategies
- Developing new activities / assignments
- Engaging students
- Creating positive classroom environments
- Communication, presentation skills, and other course delivery methods
- Curriculum design for effectiveness
- Defining learning objectives
- Test construction and item writing
- Instructional effectiveness